Job Postings - Oklahoma Travel Industry Association
Ad Title: Seeking Greater Muskogee Chamber of Commerce Tourism Director Location: 310 W. Broadway, Muskogee, OK 74401 Post Date: 06/25/19 Contact: D.J. Thompson, President & CEO City: Muskogee State: OK Zip: 74401 Phone (W): 918-682-2401 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org Website:visit our website... Description: Job Title: Director of Tourism
Reports To: GMACC President / CEO
Job Status: Exempt / Salaried
Currently Held By:
The Director of Tourism is responsible for the general management and execution of the Greater Muskogee Area
Chamber of Commerce’s (GMACC) contract for Tourism services with the City of Muskogee. This position is the
primary representative of the GMACC for all Tourism activities with local businesses, and the community at large. The
Director of Tourism serves under the supervision of the GMACC President / CEO and as the lead for GMACC in the
development and implementation of all initiatives, activities, and programs designed to increase tourism for Muskogee.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Management and Administration – 30%
1. Works with the Tourism Board to guide the annual development, implementation, and execution of the
Tourism Program of Work;
2. Works with the Tourism Board to guide the development, implementation, and execution of an annual Tourism
budget. Works daily within the confines of that budget;
3. Works with the marketing team to develop the annual Advertising Budget within the established Tourism
4. Ensures all reporting requirements are met and provided to the City of Muskogee per the Tourism contract;
5. Serves as the liaison for GMACC and Tourism for Chamber or non-chamber sponsored events such as festivals,
conventions, fishing tournaments, races and other activities that are expected to bring large numbers of
tourists to Muskogee;
6. Serves as the staff liaison for the Tourism Board and oversees all other subcommittees designated by the
7. Supervises day-to-day activities of all Tourism staff and provides information and recommendations to the
Chamber President / CEO.
8. Works with the Chamber President/CEO and the Tourism Board to set goals and objectives for the Tourism
program and ensures those goals and objectives are achieved.
Community and Public Relations – 20%
9. Serves as staff liaison and Chamber representative to the Muskogee Hotel and Lodging Association and
Motorcycle Tourism committee, as well as any other ad-hoc Boards to further tourism;
10. Ensures positive relations with local hoteliers, attraction and event staff, as well as other key stakeholders in
Muskogee’s tourism industry;
11. Works collaboratively with government officials, community leaders, volunteers, and other organizations to
develop new tourist attractions, festivals and events to promote Muskogee’s assets and Green Country area
12. Fosters relationships with tourism professionals at state and national levels by attending association meetings,
networking events and educational sessions;
13. Responds to social media inquiries or posts that require acknowledgment; communicates concerns and
pertinent information from social media to the President / CEO;
14. Provides oversight to the needs of the local tourist information centers;
15. Manages all aspects of the Community Support grant application process;
Marketing and Advertising – 50%
16. Works within the scope of the Tourism contract and with the Chamber President / CEO to provide all Tourism
marketing and promotions via media, buying, writing and design of articles and ads, design of print materials,
broadcast announcements, obtaining photographs, writing press releases, and other miscellaneous media;
17. Serves as a member of the GMACC Marketing Team to provide input and direction to the overall marketing,
advertising and public relation efforts;
18. Provides marketing and advertising consultation and assistance to community partners, organizations and
19. Develops press releases to all media contacts to publicize Tourism related events and other promotions;
20. Manages the development of Muskogee Tourism’s social media plan by working with any contracted agencies
(when applicable), and monitors the effectiveness through evaluation of analytics, other usage, and feedback,
and provides monthly reports to the Tourism Board;
21. Prepares camera-ready artwork and copy for advertising as needed, in various materials such as state,
regional, and national periodicals, brochures, flyers, billboards, etc. and visitor guides which will encourage
tourists to visit the area;
22. Manages and coordinates the promotion and communication efforts on behalf of Muskogee Tourism events
such as festivals, conventions, fishing tournaments, races and other activities that are expected to bring large
numbers of tourists to Muskogee;
23. Is the primary person responsible for updating the Tourism web site information on a regular basis to ensure
accuracy and thoroughness including posting agendas and new information, and responding to web site
24. Attends selected trade and sport shows, including set-up and tear-down of booth, to exhibit promotional
materials designed to attract tourists and conventioneers to the area;
25. Attends additional meetings and Tourism functions as directed by the President / CEO;
26. Attends GMACC Board of Directors meetings;
27. Other duties as assigned by the President/CEO.
• A strong work ethic and the ability to initiate contacts without supervision.
• Experience and demonstrated success in working to meet specific goals and deadlines.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Ability and willingness to make cold calls to recruit groups to come to Muskogee.
• Knowledge and experience of advertising and marketing required.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Proven ability to work with people in person, either one-on-one or in groups, on the phone and via email.
• Ability and willingness to work in a collaborative and team environment.
• Must have a general working knowledge of the tourism industry and how to meet goals and measure success.
• The ability to work outside of general office hours on an as-needed basis.
• Must be organized and have the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, including building
community relationships, attending meetings and administrative office work.
• Must have the willingness and ability to balance accountability to multiple boards, organizations, and
• Basic computer skills and the ability to learn and manage new software, navigate web site edits, use different
forms of social media, and effectively use the internet.
• Experience and proficient knowledge of Adobe InDesign and other graphic design programs.
• Knowledge of Chambers of Commerce is helpful but not required.
• A valid driver’s license and liability insurance are required.
• College degree required. more info...