Job Board Title:
Manager of Procurement
Manager of Procurement:
Reporting to the Director of Finance/Treasurer, the Manager of Procurement is accountable for the overall leadership of the procurement function to the entire organization, ensuring that the development, implementation and administration of effective and efficient procurement strategies are done in a fair, open and transparent environment.
As a collaborative business partner and focused leader, the Manager of Procurement will elevate the profile of the procurement section, and will lead the Town in improving business outcomes through collaborative efforts with a corporate lens.
As an experienced leader, the Manager of Procurement will lead by example and inspire the procurement team to deliver optimal customer service and deliver on procurement work plans, while ensuring compliance with procurement legislation, regulations and corporate policies and procedures.
- Ensures clear, regular, transparent communication with staff and director;
- Responsible for updating and maintaining procurement by-law and associated policies;
- Fosters a team environment by role modeling leadership behaviors, empowering employees, building team capacity, and mandating respect for peers and customers;
- Trains, develops, and evaluates employees accountable to the manager; encourages a culture of ongoing learning, development, training and cross-training for procurement staff;
- Motivates and engages the procurement team in strategic efforts through mentoring, coaching, and team collaboration;
- Developing strong business partnerships with business stakeholders across the organization to ensure procurement services are meeting the needs of the business and plans are made for improvement;
- Advises Senior Management Team and/or Council in changes to public procurement processes through legislation/regulations;
- Develop and monitor vendor relationships, including sourcing new vendors/solutions, evaluation, audits, contract management and termination;
- Effectively manages special projects which require in-depth investigation and research, using strategic thinking in order to consider the impact of decisions
- Develops project objectives; methodology; and solutions for special projects that are often new and September 22, 2023unique
- Research, understand and implement industry best practices in all procurement area;
- Keeps abreast of best practices and trends, while continuously looking for process improvements such as automation, streamlining, removal of redundancy, etc.;
- Proactively assesses the need for change; always looking for new, innovative and improved approaches to service delivery;
- Strong focus on customer experience; sees the role as serving not just the corporation but also the public (online services, electronic documents, applications, etc.)
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal and communication skills required (verbal and written);
- Strong ability to problem solve, seeking information from diverse sources and recommend innovative solutions;
- Ability to think and interact effectively, tactfully, courteously with all levels of staff and public to build cooperative and collaborative relationships;
- Demonstrated experience in development and implementation of effective procurement strategies, including policies, procedures, processes, computer systems, internal control and various acquisition methods;
- Legitimate experience in providing sound professional advice, assistance and direction to staff at all levels of the organization;
- Experience in the coordination of the planning, scheduling, issuance, opening and awarding of RFT [Tenders], RFP [Proposals], RFQ [Quotations], RPQ [Pre-Qualifications], etc.;
- Detailed knowledge of contract law, the law of agency, the laws of competitive bidding, trade agreements, environmental and tax legislation, and the Municipal Act
Education & Experience
- Hold Professional recognized Procurement designation [CPPO - Certified Public Procurement Officer; CPPB - Certified Professional Public Buyer; CSCMP - Certified Supply Chain Management Professional];
- University degree in Business Administration or Purchasing & Supply Chain Management;
- Minimum 9 years progressively responsible experience in procurement, with a minimum 5 years supervisory experience or a combination of training, education and experience deemed equivalent;
What is Offered to Staff
- Rate of Pay: $62.06 - $77.58 per hour
- Hours of Work: This is a non-union position that works 35 hours per week. The hours of work are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Benefits: The Town offers full-time staff a comprehensive benefit package with paid sick, vacation and personal leave days; Employee & Family Assistance Program; Health & Wellness Program, Town of Ajax Fitness Centre membership; plus a defined benefits pension (OMERS pension).
- Hybrid Work Program: The Town offers a Hybrid Work Program. A flexible work arrangement, including the option to work from home some or a majority of the time, is currently a possibility with this position, and can be discussed during the interview process.
How to Apply
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please go to the Town of Ajax website at www.ajax.ca/careers. The closing date for this position is 11:59 p.m. on September 22, 2023.
We would like to thank all applicants however, please note that only those selected to attend an interview will be contacted and all other applicants will be kept on file. Applicants are advised that written, oral and practical testing may form part of the selection process.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. The Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources of any accommodation you may require during the process.
The Corporation of the Town of Ajax