Job Board Title:
Position Summary: The Director of Finance is responsible for creating, implementing, and managing the financial systems and compliance integral to the day-to-day operations of The Sophia Way. This position is responsible for oversight of all financial management and bookkeeping processes, including internal financial controls, risk management, regulatory compliance, and management of a successful annual audit process. This position supports the work of the Executive Team (Managing Executive Director and ED, Development) and collaborates closely with other senior staff at The Sophia Way in Development and Programs.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Manages all financial processes and internal control policies and procedures for the organization, ensuring that all financial recordkeeping, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and reporting practices are in alignment with non-profit industry and GAAP best practices.
- Provides monthly reporting to Executive Team and Finance Committee in a timely manner to allow for accurate review and reporting to the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for leading the organization’s annual financial audit and IRS tax form preparation processes, including working closely with the external audit team, The Sophia Way leadership as well as the audit sub-committee of The Sophia Way’s Board of Directors to ensure that the audit is completed on time and the audit and IRS documents are accurate.
- Collaborates with the Executive Team and the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors to ensure all financial policies and procedures are documented and up to date.
- Manages The Sophia Way bank accounts, loan and financing accounts, investment and asset management, and the relationships with banking and other financial institutions; ensures transactions are accurate and legitimate and that The Sophia Way is receiving the level of service needed for optimal performance. Ensures banking and signor policies are followed.
- Responsible for cash flow reporting, planning, and management, ensuring the availability of funds as needed. Provides Executive Team and Finance Committee with monthly projected cash flow including A/P and A/R.
- Develops and manages annual budgeting and forecasting processes; ensures financial objectives are achieved, submits information for budget preparation, schedules expenditures, monitors expenses, and analyzes variances.
- Responsible for the timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of all reporting including to the Board of Directors and funders. Works closely with the - - --Development team to ensure proper recording and alignment of gifts in both the donor database and accounting systems.
- Supports the Development team and Executive Team with creating proposal budgets and reporting for government contracts and private grants; collaborates closely with the Development and Programs team to produce invoicing for all government contracts.
- Leads government audits when necessary; provides representatives clear and accurate information based on contract compliance.
- Manages selection and maintenance of the organization’s financial systems and software, ensuring compatibility with existing organizational systems and creating efficiencies; oversees other organizational technology solutions in collaboration with senior staff and department heads.
- Manages all business insurance programs for the organization.
- Responsible for all local, state, and federal regulatory compliance for licenses and taxes; files and pays all taxes on time; ensures organization is compliant with all EEO, IRS, and FCC regulations as related to finance and employment.
- Supervises the Operations and Facilities manager, working closely with them to ensure that the operations and administrative functions of the organization operate smoothly and are properly resourced.
Organizational & Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Maintains thorough understanding of The Sophia Way organizational financial policies; follows policies and leads by example.
- Ensures that all expenditures are in line with and reported according to The Sophia Way policies; meets all fiscal reporting deadlines as set forth by the organization.
- Oversees payroll submission for the organization in compliance with The Sophia Way policies, including timely submission of payroll for processing and arranging appropriate coverage of payroll obligations while out of office.
Supervision Received: Position reports to the Executive Director, Development & Engagement
Supervision Exercised: Directly supervises Accounting Manager, Operations and Facilities manager, and any departmental interns and volunteers
Educational Qualifications: Life experience, prior employment, education, and life-long learning will be considered in lieu of formal education. Professional certifications and/or degrees in accounting or financial management are a bonus, but not necessary.
- Proficiency in nonprofit GAAP and fund accounting.
- Ability to learn, understand, and utilize computer applications related to the organization, including QuickBooks (desktop) and/or other financial accounting systems.
- Aptitude for interpreting and implementing policies and procedures; ability to analyze and resolve office administrative and procedural challenges.
- Strong self-motivation and independence in carrying out responsibilities, organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks, and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, relationship-building, and communication skills - both written and verbal - which transcend diverse audiences.
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation, and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution. Understanding and appreciation of The Sophia Way’s mission, vision, values, programs and spirit of service.
- Embody the community-oriented spirit of The Sophia Way to both internal and external constituents.
Physical Requirements: Long periods of being in a stationary position; operating a computer and other office equipment; frequently moving to/from various work areas, including TSW's office and shelter locations; occasionally ascending/descending stairs; frequently communicating by phone and email; frequently remaining in a stationary position during meetings, discerning meeting content, expressing oneself, and exchanging accurate information; frequently moving to/from off-site meeting and/or event locations; occasionally moves supplies and/or equipment weighing up to 25 pounds.
Working Conditions: Primary location in typical business office environment, with frequent meetings and event attendance at a variety of off-site locations.
Apply online at https://sophiaway.applicantpro.com/jobs/.
The Sophia Way is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate and is open to all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion or national origin. We also willingly comply with laws that govern age discrimination, equal pay and sexual harassment.
The Sophia Way
11061 NE 2nd St, Bellevue WA 98004