Job Board Title:
University of Washington - Sr. Financial Reporting Analyst
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
The Finance Department has an outstanding opportunity for a Sr. Financial Reporting Analyst.
The Sr. Financial Reporting Analyst is responsible for supporting the timely and accurate preparation of financial statements prepared according to the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), detailed supporting schedules and footnotes, analysis of results, and executing on complex technical accounting work and projects in various forms. They provide support to campus customers on accounting topics and serve as one of the subject matter experts in the Financial Reporting group on accounting and reporting matters.
This person utilizes their senior-level technical accounting and analysis skills to support the accounting and reporting processes in the Financial Reporting unit. They are relied upon by the Associate Controller as someone that is able to pick up nonstandard, complex, highly technical work and complete that work with minimal direction and oversight. They own or contribute to reporting and analysis deliverables that are presented to executive leadership and the Audit Advisory Committee to the Board of Regents. They are an informal leader for other accounting staff in the unit and a knowledge expert on the work done in Financial Reporting.
The Sr. Financial Reporting Analyst will play a key role in helping to transition the accounting and reporting processes owned by the Financial Reporting unit as they are impacted by the implementation of the UW’s Workday ERP system (scheduled to go live July 2023). They work independently and in partnership with the Associate Controller and Controller, as well as in close collaboration with process partners across campus.
This position requires the ability to understand and work with highly technical accounting topics, and to perform complex analysis on the data underlying financial statement results. They are required to communicate effectively in order to explain complex transactions and accounting issues, often in ways that can be understood by nonaccountants.
The position coordinates with external independent and state auditors to provide supporting documentation and explanation of results. The position also communicates with departments across the University regarding accounting issues and guidance and regarding updates and changes to the accounting processes.
Data Management and Analytics
• The senior level Analyst is responsible for financial reporting and analysis with a primary focus on supporting Finance leadership. This includes gathering, analyzing, and reporting financial data and results where underlying data often originate from multiple sources. The position requires an innovative, creative, highly motivated, team-oriented individual. Operate from a proactive and positive business approach, focused on meeting current and future needs where data and knowledge derived from data will play a critical role in executive-level decision-making.
• Support and continually improve the accounting processes which contribute toward preparation of periodic GASB-based financial results, and preparation of the annual UW Financial Report which is relied upon by the university’s Board of Regents, Audit Advisory Committee, external bondholders, and the state of WA Office of Financial Management.
• Directly contribute to preparation and analysis of periodic financial reports for senior management using advanced features of applications such as Excel, SQL Server analysis tools, etc.
• Use UW administrative system tools including, for example, MyFD, Workday, and the Enterprise Data Warehouse to extract and download system data for analysis.
• Work collaboratively with process partners, peers, and leaders. Oversee and deliver accounting data, results, and analysis to the VP of Finance.
• Monthly, quarterly and annual reports out to Controller and Finance Vice President:
• Use detailed knowledge of data mining within Financial Systems and an in-depth understanding of how to interpret and use data to produce viable and accurate financial reports and analytics.
• Work collaboratively and in partnership with a matrixed level of positions across the University and ability to take the lead in guiding other analysts.
• Use a deep knowledge of software programs to ensure the credibility of reports and analysis.
• Provide holistic financial reporting and review of the University.
Serve as a resource to the Financial Accounting department and various other departments across the University to support accounting processes, research and analyze data and trends, explain accounting treatments and results, interpret and implement new accounting requirements, etc. Work with a diverse group of individuals; placing a value on diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
• Create ad-hoc reports that help businesses address their financial questions and/or root-cause problem-solving.
• Heavy involvement in the organization-wide process and policy changes. This may include developing reports and analysis which are provided to VP/AVP and Director Level leaders to inform of changes and/or impact on university finances.
• Significant involvement in the fiscal year-end and biennium close process.
• Outreach, collaboration, and support to department leaders across campus.
• Manage and modify existing database applications and other programming applications as needed. Develop reports and present data for special projects as assigned.
• Responsibilities include understanding the business purpose, strategy, and drivers behind financial results, and creating and analyzing variance reports.
• Assist Finance leadership in developing and implementing dashboards, key business and financial metrics, and/or productivity platforms.
• Assist Finance leadership in the development of policies and procedures to maintain and improve adherence to university, state, and federal rules and regulations
• Design & build operational best-practices across Finance and UW
• Focus on continuous process improvement activities related to Financial Accounting and Reporting.
• Continually identify opportunities for improvement or gaps in business processes across Finance. Work to develop and implement process improvements.
• Assist in driving process change across Finance.
Accounting, Fiscal Oversight, and Special Projects
Support and continually improve the accounting processes which are responsible for complying with the accounting and reporting directives required by the State of WA Office of Financial Management and which support the preparation of the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR).
• Provide oversight to ensure departmental processes and procedures compliance with University, State, and Federal policies and guidelines.
• Develop sophisticated tools that enable automating current manual processes and increase departmental efficiency.
• Provide fiscal leadership to program initiatives including tracking of sponsorship commitments, cash transmittals, expense transfers, and providing reporting of fund balance.
• Ability to manage and execute projects from start to finish as assigned.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field and five years of experience in full-scope accounting, including use of data analysis tools.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Excel including the ability to design, build, document, and maintain complex workbooks in a user-friendly, intuitive and logical manner.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret and explain financial results, and to formulate and implement process improvements.
• A collaborative, customer service attitude
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrated experience in working on diverse groups and teams; respects, values, and contributes to UW Finance and UW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Experience in public accounting.
• CPA license or demonstrated progress toward CPA designation.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Access.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under Washington state law.
The University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 or email@example.com.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
Governor Inslee's Proclamation 21-14.2 requires employees of higher education and healthcare institutions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination. View the Final candidate guide to COVID-19 vaccination requirement webpage for information about the medical or religious exemption process for final candidates.
University of Washington