Classified Ad Title:
Professional Land Surveyor(s)
Are you looking for a challenge? Do you have a passion for helping people? Do you want to be part of a diverse team that is committed to making the transportation system in Colorado safe and efficient? Then, the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) is the place for you! CDOT is devoted to incorporating technology, providing equal employment opportunities, developing leaders, and improving systems in order to provide outstanding customer service. By saving lives and making lives better by providing freedom, connection, and experience through travel, CDOT is committed to becoming the number #1 Department of Transportation in the country. In working towards this goal, we believe every one of our employees plays a critical role. CDOT's core values include safety, people, integrity, customer service, excellence and respect.
The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) is looking to fill two Professional Land Surveyor positions located in our Pueblo office. The primary purpose of these positions is to ensure plans and legal descriptions comply with state statutes, department policy, and contract stipulations. Other primary functions require development and certification of right-of-way plans, by signing and stamping plans. These positions also conduct project control, topographic and land boundary surveys, relating all coordinate information to geodetic coordinates using published control.
Current, valid licensure as a Professional Land Surveyor from the Colorado State Board of Licensure for Architects, Professional Engineers, and Professional Land Surveyors
A current valid driver's license is required for this position as it requires operating a state or personal motor vehicle to perform one or more essential functions of the position.
Stronger candidates will be those that demonstrate depth and breadth of skill and ability, through a combination of professional experience and formal training, to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this position.
The Exceptional Applicant will be an experienced Professional Land Surveyor and will possess the proven ability or accomplishment in the following:
Demonstrated success with the duties listed in the Description of the Job section;
Highest work/personal ethics and integrity;
Comprehensive knowledge and experience in Land Surveying and right of way plans preparation;
Strong knowledge and experience using with MicroStation and InRoads civil engineering CAD software;
- Experience with surveying on department of transportation (DOT) related projects;
-Experience in plan review and current survey technologies, such as GNSS, CAD, Trimble Business Center, Trimble survey equipment;
- Familiarity with researching and utilizing NGS control;
- Ability to estimate project hours and cost associated with contracts;
- Ability to supervise and direct land surveying staff associated with field and office duties;
- Knowledge of the CDOT Survey Manual and CDOT ROW Manual;
- Leadership and vision across multidisciplinary groups;
- Proven ability to manage multiple assignments, priorities, and projects in a demanding environment;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and be adaptable to changing assignments;
- Ability to take initiative to solve problems in an innovative manner;
- Ability to partner with public and private organizations, special interest groups, elected and appointed officials, in situations which may be politically sensitive;
- Ability to work with general public, professional, consultants, and staff, with sensitivity to their needs, priorities, promises made and commitments;
- Effective interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Strong time and project management skills, including prioritization and multi-tasking ability;
- Excellent reasoning, investigative, analytical, and problem solving ability;
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral;
- Strong attention to technical detail and accuracy;
- Passion for safety;
- Ability to work effectively in both independent and team situations;
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access), Gmail, SAP, ProjectWise, MicroStation, InRoads, and the ability to quickly learn other software systems.
YOU MUST BE A RESIDENT OF COLORADO TO APPLY. CDOT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO A DIVERSE AND INCLUSIVE WORKFORCE.
In addition to a fantastic place to work, CDOT offers a variety of benefits which include:
- Annual leave (accrued based on years of service, starting at 8 hours a month)
- Sick leave accrued at 6.66 hours a month
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Medical and dental plans with no cost preventative services
- State paid Life Insurance with optional additional life insurance
- State paid Short Term Disability coverage, with optional long term disability plan
- Participation in PERA with 2 retirement plan options, and voluntary PERA 401K and 457 plans
- Credit Union membership
- Work life programs
- State Employee Assistance programs at no cost
- Tuition and certification reimbursement program
- Access to a diverse array of technical, leadership, supervisory and specialty training across the state, in addition to personal development and productivity learning opportunities
- State employee discount programs
Colorado Department of Transportation