Classified Ad Title:
Surveying Technician IV Crew Chief
Souder, Miller & Associates (SMA)- Voted one of the Top Work Places in New Mexico for the last six years! SMA is an employee owned company, providing a team of employees dedicated to the betterment of our clients, our communities, and most of all our employees. With more than 200 Staff, 13 offices, and over 30 years of service, SMA has provided technical expertise for a wide range of consulting services, including civil, environmental services and surveying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Employment Opportunity is the corporate and personal philosophy of the Company, its managers and owners. It is the policy of SMA to afford equal employment to qualified individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, gender identity, spousal affiliation or veteran status, and to conform to all applicable laws and regulations. The Company is fully committed to this concept and all personnel are expected to actively participate in the implementation of these policies.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform random drug screens. Driving records are also monitored monthly.
We recognize and respect the amount of time you are about to invest by applying to this open position. If you complete this job application, you will be kept informed via email status updates (and text messages, if you opt in) throughout the evaluation process.
By continuing with this job application, you will be asked to answer job-specific questions. Please note that the questions contained in this job posting are our sole intellectual property.
Upon receipt of your responses, we will evaluate your submission. If selected for a personal interview, you will receive an email/text with scheduling instructions.
The Hiring Manager
SPECIAL NOTE: If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within minutes of your job application submission, please check your email bulk or spam folders.
Souder Miller & Associates is seeking a Survey Technician IV - Crew Chief for the Farmington, NM office. The desired candidate will lead a Survey Crew in performing certain types of land surveys in the following duties.
• Able to perform all duties expected of a Surveying Technician III.
• Is proficient with the set-up and operate of instrumentation required for the collection or layout of survey data in the field (includes RTK/GPS, total stations, controllers/data collectors and automatic levels). Advanced knowledge of the calibration of survey equipment on a regular basis.
• Has advanced knowledge in the operation of controllers or data collectors including control initialization, GPS OPUS techniques, layout techniques (centerline and offset staking), curve staking intersections, radial stake out and basic error analysis.
• Acts as an interface between survey crews and CADD technicians will as client project contact.
• Can perform plan revisions, primarily in the field, with the concurrence of engineers and contractors.
• Is responsible for the initial calculation and establishment of primary control for medium to large survey projects.
• Is proficient in State Plane coordinate systems as it relates to project coordinate systems.
• Assists in training staff on field methods and instrument use.
• Provide direction, leadership and responsibility for all field survey crews.
• Employee Stock Ownership Plan
• Medical Insurance
• Dental Insurance
• Vision Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Long-term Disability Insurance
• Short-term Disability Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Wellness Program
• Professional Development
• Paid Time Off (PTO)
• Personal Leave
• Maternity and Paternity Leave
• Jury Duty Pay
To apply please copy the link below and paste it into your web browser.
• High school diploma/GED and at least 15 years of experience in the surveying industry at a minimum or a Level IV NSPS Certified Surveyor Technician Certificate with at least 10 years of experience.
• Proficient at survey mathematics and geometry with the ability to calculate Cartesian coordinates, traverse closures / adjustments, intersections, resections, horizontal curves and vertical curves. Ability to understand COGO applications. Also end area and volume calculations knowledge.
• Must have the ability to operate a computer and computer software related to surveying and data collection. Software programs include Trimble Business Center and TDS survey softwares.
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and employees of the organization.
• Must have a valid driver's license and good driving record.
• Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed but non-involved written or oral instructions.
• Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
• Must have the ability to operate a computer and computer software related to surveying and data collection, a data collector, total survey station and level.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Souder, Miller & Associates (SMA)