Job Board Title:
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
Req #: 168391
Department: UW CONTINUUM COLLEGE (UWC²)
Job Location: Seattle Campus
Job Location Detail: UW Tower
Posting Date: 06/07/2019
Closing Info: Open Until Filled
Salary: Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Shift: First Shift
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for five consecutive years.
UW Continuum College (UWC²) expands the reach of the University of Washington with programs like UW Professional & Continuing Education, International & English Language Programs, Summer Youth and the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the UW that meet the needs of various learners at all phases of their lives. We’re focused on removing obstacles to relevant educational opportunities by addressing geographic, financial, length of commitment and time constraints, increasing access to knowledge for more people. As a diverse community that values inclusivity and collaboration, we foster a respectful, supportive workplace where innovation comes to life. By looking ahead and experimenting with new approaches, we’re creating new educational opportunities to help people thrive in a world of change.
UWC² has an outstanding opportunity for a Director of Finance to join their Finance team.
The Director of Finance reports to the UWC² Senior Director of Administrative Services and oversees staff supporting the financial activity for a $128M budget. UWC² Finance supports both internal UWC² staff and our campus partners with self-sustaining programs. Internally, the finance team is responsible for month-end and year-end close, various financial statements, budget modeling/structuring, forecasting, and financial analysis. The Director is charged with improving efficiency and workflow, coaching/supervising staff, providing insights through data analytics and reporting, and ensuring our systems and practices accommodate current and changing direction of our organization.
Success in this leadership role requires:
• working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles;
• excellent leadership and team building skills;
• the ability to help the finance team transition from very manual processes to increased automation and an eventual new university-wide financial management system;
• the ability to work harmoniously within a cross-departmental team structure to identify and solve complex problems, while respecting the thoughts and opinions of colleagues, and ensuring buy-in from key stakeholders; and
• the ability to maintain and instill our values: diversity and respect for all, a never-ending pursuit of excellence, integrity, and trust & openness.
• Ensure senior leadership have a financial liaison; attend meetings with senior leadership to ensure finance is meeting their needs
• Provide monthly/quarterly forecasts to senior leadership for administrative spending/funding and programmatic forecasts; ensure senior leadership team understands UWC² financials, forecasts, and their own budget to actuals
• Make decisions in compliance with University, UWC², state, and federal policy
• Respond to University requests for information regarding UWC² financials
• Determine annual expense budgets for UWC² departments
• Recommend revenue and other funding goals for programmatic lines
• Regularly review/audit internal financials
• Present financial information during staff and campus committee meetings
• Advise staff and management on compliance with internal, University-level, and non-UW specific policies and procedures
• Represent UWC² and foster positive working relationships across our schools and colleges, controller’s office, and Office of Planning and Budgeting, through proactive communication, collaboration, and idea generation
• Embrace and encourage a service-oriented culture across UWC² Finance
• Link organizational strategy back to finance activities, and define team and individual goals in support of the overall strategic direction of UWC²
• Remove obstacles to ensure projects are completed on-time
• Achieve results through others by demonstrating formal and influence-based leadership
• Meet frequently with staff to enable communication and ensure day-to-day operations and project-based work are progressing as planned
• Train and delegate work; require cross training, procedural documentation, and internal auditing; and prevent single points of failure within our finance organization
• Ensure accuracy of job descriptions, hire, onboard, and mentor staff, provide opportunities for continued learning and skill development, complete performance appraisals, and recommend staff separations
• Bachelor’s of finance, accounting, or business administration or related degree, and five years of experience to include
o Supervisory, leadership, and relationship management acumen
o Interpersonal skills including coaching, training, facilitating, and presenting to groups
o Ability to communicate with tact, diplomacy, professionalism, and respect
o Budgeting, forecasting, financial management, and reporting
o Planning, organizational, and analytical problem solving
o Strong sense of enthusiasm and commitment to excellence
o Passion for UWC²’s mission and values
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Master’s of finance, accounting, or business administration or related degree
• Washington State CPA
• Experience auditing and regulating internal controls
• Effective motivator and ability to impart passion and strong communication across our organization
• Service mentality
To apply, go here: https://uwhires.admin.washington.edu/ENG/Candidates/default.cfm?szCategory=jobprofile&szOrderID=168391
UW Continuum College